SARASOTA COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – Two people have died following a crash on State Road 72 in Sarasota County.
According to the Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office, a Chevy SUV, being driven by a 29-year-old woman, was traveling westbound on State Road 72 approaching Sidell Road when a Harley Davidson motorcycle was traveling eastbound on State Road 72.
Deputies say the SUV drifted into the eastbound lane and hit the front of the motorcycle.
The driver of the motorcycle, a 58-year-old man, and his passenger, a 54-year-old woman, were pronounced dead at the scene.
Both the eastbound and westbound lanes of State Road 72 were closed for several hours near Sidell Road as deputies and the Florida Highway Patrol investigated.
Criminal charges are pending.
LATEST NEWS FROM WFLA.COM:
- White House COVID-19 team briefs public as J&J vaccine doses shipped to states
- Evacuations underway after vehicle hits building in Tampa, ruptures gas line
- Nikki Fried calls on Congress to investigate Florida’s ‘politically-driven’ vaccine distribution
- ‘Magnet for predators’: Hundreds claim decades of abuse by 150 youth center staffers
- Mother, boyfriend charged after 6-year-old killed, dumped in Ohio River, police say