ORLANDO, FL (WFLA) — NBC News has learned that the current wife of the Orlando nightclub shooter tried to talk him out of carrying out the attack.
According to NBC News, Omar Mateen’s wife Noor Mateen told the FBI she was with him when he purchased ammunition. Noor also told investigators that she once drove him to the gay nightclub, Pulse, because he wanted to scope it out, NBC reports.
Authorities are considering filing criminal charges against Noor for failing to tell them what she knew before the massacre, but no decision has been made, NBC says.
Omar Mateen, 29, opened fire at gay nightclub, Pulse, early Sunday morning, killing 49 and injuring 53 in the deadliest act of terror in the U.S. since 9/11.
It’s unclear when Mateen married his second wife but an Aug. 30, 2013, property deed in Saint Lucie County identified them as a married couple. Family members said the pair had a young son about 3 years old.
FBI Director James Comey said the agency was trying to determine whether Mateen had recently scouted Disney World as a potential target, as reported by People.com, which cited an unidentified federal law enforcement source. The report said he visited with his wife.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
Orlando Massacre: Related Stories
- ‘He’s shooting everyone that’s already dead on the floor’ -Orlando shooting victim speaks
- Report: Orlando shooter’s wife tried to talk him out of attack
- City releases names, ages, of 49 nightclub shooting victims
- How to Help: Donate blood, money
- JetBlue offering free Orlando flights to shooting victims’ family, domestic partners
- Complicated picture emerges of Orlando nightclub shooter
- The Latest: Orlando shooter went to club before, no sign attack was terrorist-directed
- Orlando victims remembered at Lakeland vigil
- President Obama to visit Orlando Thursday
- Thousands attend vigil in Orlando for nightclub shooting victims
- Two young Polk county women among the slain in Orlando
- Former Largo resident among the deceased in Orlando shooting