HIALEAH, Fla. (AP) – A South Florida landlord is accused of fatally shooting a tenant following an argument over rent.
Police say that late Saturday, 76-year-old Reineiro Espino Caballero went to collect the $550 that 46-year-old Ramon Emilo Gutierrez Castillo still owed him for this April.
Local news outlets report that after the two men argued, Castillo went back into his efficiency apartment and locked the sliding glass door to prevent the landlord from coming inside.
According to police, the landlord went to his adjacent residence, got a gun and returned to Castillo’s apartment. There, he shot through the glass, shattering it. A physical confrontation ensued and the landlord shot the tenant in the face.
Caballero is charged with first-degree murder and armed burglary. Records don’t indicate whether he’s hired a lawyer.WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- Mother, friend arrested after child found in hot car outside strip club
- AMBER Alert issued for Madison boy, 7
- Boy missing in Coconut Creek, AMBER Alert issued
- Family killed in triple murder followed by suicide
- Man shot and killed in Clearwater identified
- Pit bull puppy recovers after severe chemical burns
- Principal paddles kindergartner, ignites outrage online
- Deputies: Woman strangled to death after her birthday party
- Road rage incident with motorcyclists turned into beating for Tampa Bay area man
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines