LAKELAND, Fla.(WFLA) – A couple is dead and their son is facing murder charges after an argument at their Lakeland home over the weekend, police said.
Felix Molina is facing two counts of first-degree murder in the deaths of his parents, Francisco and Irma Molina.
Police said Molina had been living with his parents at their Lakeland home, and killed them after an argument last weekend. Their cause of death was blunt force trauma.
Police said Molina left the couple’s home in their van, which detectives tracked down in Tampa with the help of local law enforcement.
At a press conference Friday, the Molinas were described as “very good folks trying to help their family members out.”
“My grandparents, my aunt’s mom and dad, very good, humble people. They would alway give everything to everybody that they could. They would always take care of their son, their daughter and me,” said their grandson, Christian Molina.
Police said there were indications Felix Molina may have been struggling with substance abuse issues.
He was arrested Thursday and booked into a Hillsborough County Jail, awaiting transfer to the Polk County Jail.
- MAX DEFENDER 8 FORECAST: Hot with afternoon storms this weekend in Tampa; Tropical development possible
- Here’s the dogs available for adoption in Tampa
- Cruz HR in Rays debut, Tampa Bay beats Cleveland 10th in row
- Red tide update: Highest amount of Tampa Bay bloom concentrations found in Pinellas County
- Troopers: 71-year-old man hit, killed in Bradenton