HAINES CITY, Fla. (WFLA) – A 16-year-old boy was arrested after he reportedly started a fire in the boy’s bathroom at Haines City High School on Wednesday.
The incident occurred at about 1:30 p.m., just 30 minutes before school was dismissed.
The Haines City Police Department said someone pulled a fire alarm and an evacuation of the school took place.
School administrators were able to stop the blaze using fire extinguishers. No injuries were reported.
Investigators say the culprit had been skipping class and was in the boy’s bathroom for about eight minutes before evacuating.
He later told detectives he had started the fire as a prank and had no intentions of hurting anyone
He is charged with arson and disruption of a school function.
“We’re grateful that no one was hurt, but this so-called prank could have had serious ramifications,” Haines City Police Chief Jim Elensky said. “Any incident that endangers the lives of our students, educators and school staff will be fully investigated and prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. I applaud our officers and detectives for their quick work in this case.”
- Obama to visit Florida day before Election Day for Joe Biden
- $1,200 direct payments: Americans blame both parties for stimulus check stalemate
- US citizen kidnapped in Niger rescued in American military operation
- Last day to vote early in these Tampa Bay area counties
- TV news anchor gunned down in Downtown Juarez