POLK COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – A driver has died following a collision with a tractor-trailer on Interstate 4 in Polk County.
The tractor-trailer did not stop and continued traveling westbound after the crash, troopers said.
According to the Florida Highway Patrol, the driver was traveling westbound near mile marker 55 at a high rate of speed when it overtook and collided with the rear of a white tractor-trailer.
The 2017 Chevrolet Camaro then traveled off the interstate and crashed into a line of trees.
The driver died, a 23-year-old man from Jacksonville, at the scene. His name was not released.
Troopers said they checked a nearby truck stop and rest area scales, but were unable to locate a tractor-trailer with matching damage consistent with the crash.
No charges are pending, according to the report.
This is a developing story. Please check back for updates.
- Tropical Storm Kyle forms off the coast of New Jersey
- Bill creates federal grants for in-person and virtual K-12 classes
- ‘Live’ missile found on Lakeland Linder Airport property
- Veteran fights homeowners association to keep American flag waving high
- Suspect arrested in death of 4-year-old shot while sleeping at home