POLK COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – A driver has died following a collision with a tractor-trailer on Interstate 4 in Polk County.
The tractor-trailer did not stop and continued traveling westbound after the crash, troopers said.
According to the Florida Highway Patrol, the driver was traveling westbound near mile marker 55 at a high rate of speed when it overtook and collided with the rear of a white tractor-trailer.
The 2017 Chevrolet Camaro then traveled off the interstate and crashed into a line of trees.
The driver died, a 23-year-old man from Jacksonville, at the scene. His name was not released.
Troopers said they checked a nearby truck stop and rest area scales, but were unable to locate a tractor-trailer with matching damage consistent with the crash.
No charges are pending, according to the report.
This is a developing story. Please check back for updates.
- SeaWorld CEO resigns after less than a year on the job
- 15-year-old student faces charges after threatening to shoot up class in St. Pete
- Owners, employees traumatized after armed robbery at Lakeland store
- Dog the Bounty Hunter hospitalized months after wife’s death
- ‘SNL’ fires new cast member after video surfaces of comedian using Asian slur