Polk County family loses dog, home after devastating fire

Polk County

A Polk County family is devastated after a fire ripped through their home just days before Christmas.

“We got a phone call that our house is on fire,” said Ben Sherrod as he stood in front of the pile of ash and rubble that is left of his family home. “Our kids were safe but it was just like a nightmare.”

Their daughter Brianna, son Logan and his friend made it out of their Lake Wales home safely, but in the chaos, their beloved dog did not make it.

“I got my one dog but I didn’t get the other. She was in my brother’s room. She was just frightened,” Brianna Sherrod said. Her brother Logan’s dog, Ladybird, his best friend, his eyes in life, died in the fire.

“My son Logan is blind. He’s been blind since birth. He’s an outstanding young man. She was just his companion,” his father Ben said.

The family lost their home in the fire. Firefighters believe it started with a refrigerator that malfunctioned.

The family plans to rebuild their home, but they know a piece of their heart will always be missing.

“The material stuff we can replace. My kids can’t get their memories back, but the hardest part is losing our dog,” Ben said.

Family and friends have created a fund to help the family recover, if you would like to help click here.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Latest Videos

More Video
More Contests

Trending Stories

get the app

News App

Weather App

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss