POLK COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – Police are warning the public about a fake police officer who has been calling women in the Davenport area and taunting them over the phone.
Police said the unknown man’s calls have been showing up on caller ID as being from the Davenport Police Department and the Polk County Sheriff’s Office, but he is not affiliated with any Polk County law enforcement agency.
“This is a SCAM clearly orchestrated by a disturbed individual with nothing better to do than scare and taunt women,” police wrote on Facebook.
Davenport police say they don’t call people who are not involved in an active case or to tell them they have a warrant.
If you’ve received such a call, you can contact the agency’s non-emergency line (863-419-3306) and confirm whether the caller works for the police department.
- Senate Republicans introduce amendment to prevent ‘packing’ of Supreme Court
- ‘If we were torturing, I’d be in jail’: Owner of America’s scariest haunted house addresses criticism
- Bradenton woman calls 911 while brother was ‘stabbing her boyfriend to death’ over rent dispute
- Pope endorses civil union law for same-sex couples
- Newsfeed Now: President Trump campaigns in NC; Presidential Debate preparations