WINTER HAVEN, Fla. (WFLA) – The Winter Haven Police Department arrested a man they believe shot two men on the same street in Winter Haven Wednesday morning.
Winter Haven Police Chief Charlie Bird said officers responded to the first shooting in the 200 block of Palmetto Avenue around 11:35 a.m. There, officers found Rorey Copeland, 41, with a gunshot wound to his side.
Officers immediately provided first aid to Copeland while additional officers followed leads by witnesses in search for the shooter responsible.
While surveying the scene, Bird said officers heard additional shots to the east, and another man, Cody Hunt, 30, ran toward officers with a gunshot wound to his neck. Hunt collapsed on a police car and officers began treating him immediately. Bird said he died after he was transported to a hospital.
Bird said witnesses pointed officers toward a man, Debonaire McIntosh, 30, running nearby. Officers chased the McIntosh down and placed him in handcuffs.
Bird said McIntosh fits the description of the man seen at the first shooting scene.
“That’s bold. That’s extremely bold,” Bird said of someone shooting so close to a group of officers.
- SeaWorld CEO resigns after less than a year on the job
- 15-year-old student faces charges after threatening to shoot up class in St. Pete
- Owners, employees traumatized after armed robbery at Lakeland store
- Dog the Bounty Hunter hospitalized months after wife’s death
- ‘SNL’ fires new cast member after video surfaces of comedian using Asian slur