POLK COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – Two petitions to cancel school the day following Halloween for students in Hillsborough and Polk Counties have nearly 50,000 signatures combined.
The Change.org petitions, which have been circulating social media, aim to cancel classes on Nov. 1.
The one for Hillsborough County has nearly 35,000 signatures, about 5,000 shy of its intended goal. The one for Polk County, which was started by Moises Rodriguez, has over 17,000 signatures with a goal of 15,000 signatures.
“It’s a stress-free problem too especially for staff members and teachers coming home late from tricking-o-treating or from a friend’s house which most of them probably will. Now they’re tired which effect [sic] the learning environment of the class and not to mention how the kids are going to be eating candy all day,” the petition said.
Polk County Schools posted on their Facebook page saying they were appreciative of the honesty of students who signed the petition, as well as their comments, which include: “Because I don’t wanna go to school after consuming 50 pounds of candy.”
However, schools will not close due to short notice.
“Our school nurses will be ready to assist you with any candy-related ailments when you return … on Friday.” the Facebook post said.
LATEST VIRAL NEWS:
- 24K gold chicken wings sold at new restaurant in Missouri
- McDonald’s fan creates live map to track every broken ice cream machine in America
- Searches for ‘When does the debate end’ spike 3,000% as candidates wrap up final confrontation
- Chick-fil-A sauces will soon be sold at select grocery stores to help fund employee scholarships
- Puppy born with rare green fur in Italy