Note: 5 p.m. Nov. 30 | The story has been edited to reflect FHP’s new report that it was the 5-year-old boy that passed, not the 8-year-old.
POLK COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) — A 27-year-old man is suspected of drunk driving after a head-on collision killed one child and critically injured another. A 70-year-old was also killed in the crash.
FHP said the 27-year-old Winter Haven resident was traveling south on Lucerne Park Road around 1:30 a.m. Sunday with two children in the car — 5 and 8 years old.
The man reportedly crossed the centerline of the two lane roadway and collided nearly head-on with a 70-year-old man traveling north.
The 70-year-old driver was killed at the scene of the crash. FHP said the 5-year-old and 8-year-old boys were both critically injured. The 5-year-old died later in the hospital.
The 27-year-old is suspected of drinking and driving. FHP said charges are pending.
- Historic, maybe haunted, 1928 jail for sale in Florida
- What’s the ‘best state’? Poll ranks U.S. states from best to worst
- 1 hospitalized after small plane makes emergency landing in Venice country club pond
- Food Network recipe for popcorn and mayo salad is going viral
- Tampa Bay Rays clinch series against New York Yankees