LAKELAND, Fla. (WFLA) – A Lakeland police officer was found dead in his patrol car Wednesday evening after detectives say he suffered a “medical episode.”
According to detectives, Officer Ken Foley went to eat dinner nearby before parking outside a Hampton Inn on Socrum Loop Road in Lakeland.
Foley was found unresponsive in his patrol vehicle after dispatch was unable to contact him via radio.
“We want to thank all of the emergency professionals who worked so hard to care for Officer Foley,” Lakeland PD said in a Facebook post Wednesday night. “Please keep Officer Foley’s family and all those who loved him in your thoughts and prayers. Many people are grieving this huge loss to our agency and our community.”
Officer Foley was just 57 years old and was a member of the Lakeland Police Department for 29 years.
According to Lakeland police, Foley is the first line-of-duty death since December 2011.
- Leigh’s runcast: Finally feels great for a run outside
- MAX DEFENDER 8 FORECAST: Cooler, drier and fall-like weather finally arrives
- Clemson QB Trevor Lawrence tests positive for COVID-19
- Pope ends public audiences, limits numbers at Christmas as virus surges
- Trump meets with rap star Lil Wayne in Florida