LAKELAND, Fla. (WFLA) – A seven-year-old’s death has been ruled accidental after her mother found her dead in bed while a generator ran in their Lakeland home on Wednesday.
An autopsy concluded Terryn Wilson, of Dossey Road South, died by carbon monoxide intoxication.
The girl’s mother, Shashunda Wilson, is in a hospital in Miami being treated for carbon monoxide poisoning. She is in critical, but stable, condition.
Shashunda told detectives she recently got a generator because she lost power during Hurricane Irma and it was the first time she had used one.
She told them she was not aware that it could not be run inside the home.
The carbon monoxide level in the Wilson’s home was measured at 150 parts per million.
The unoccupied other half of the duplex measured at 88 parts per million.STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- Deaf community demands apology from Manatee Co. after interpreter disaster at Irma press conference
- Irma Power Outages: 888,292 still without power in Tampa Bay area
- Sam’s Club waives membership fees to help Tampa Bay residents recover from Irma
- Missing boy, 4, found in water at St. Pete park, dies from injuries
- Lakeland 7-year-old dies after apparent carbon monoxide poisoning from generator
- Tarpon Springs shrimper back home after being caught at sea during Hurricane Irma
- Jacksonville men caught with stolen power pole strapped to SUV
- 8 dead at Broward Co. nursing home that lost power during Hurricane Irma
- Running generator likely killed 3 family members in Orange Co.