POLK COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – Polk County officials are urging people to report bear sightings after a black bear was spotted in multiple neighborhoods.
The Polk County Sheriff’s Office says the bear has been spotted in neighborhoods along U.S. Hwy 27 (between Interstate 4 and U.S. Hwy 192).
The sheriff’s office says although the bears may be cute, their looks are deceiving and are asking people to avoid leaving food outside, or putting garbage in cans until trash collection day.
If you see a bear, you should report it to the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission at (863) 648-3200.
You can learn more about bears in Florida on the FWC website.
LATEST POLK COUNTY NEWS:
- Polk Co. mayor plans to lobby lawmakers against renaming Florida highway after Trump
- Florida coronavirus: State reports 8,720 new cases, 153 new deaths
- Florida coronavirus: State reports 9,535 new cases, 129 new deaths
- Florida coronavirus: State reports 12,311 new cases; total hospitalizations surpass 70K
- Senior living community residents get vaccinated in Polk Co. while thousands remain on waitlist