BARTOW, Fla. (WFLA) – Police have arrested one of two suspects accused of carjacking a vehicle that had three small children in it on West Ethlene Street Sunday evening.
Bartow police said the parents of three small children were preparing to go out for a family evening. The mother had the children in the car in the residence parking area while the father was still inside getting ready. As she entered the driver side of the car, an individual approached her with a gun and ordered her out.
The woman advised the man of her children in the back, at which time he reportedly forcibly removed her from the car. A second individual entered the passenger side of the car and they took off.
Officer eventually got a call that two of the children were located in a roadway of a residential area near where the incident took place. They were safely recovered. A second call was received at another location where the third child was found — also unharmed.
Police eventually located the vehicle in the area of Nebraska Avenue and Columbus Drive in Tampa. Officers with the Tampa Police Department were notified and responded to the area where they also located one of the suspects, Deshawn Newland, 25.
Newland is charged with armed carjacking, kidnapping, child endangerment, discharging a gun in public, and violation of probation.
Those with information regarding the incident are being asked to call Bartow Police Department at 863-534-5034.
LATEST NEWS FROM WFLA.COM:
- Family holds vigil for 12-year-old killed in motorcycle collision
- Dak Prescott signed a football for a sick Texas teen, now she’s returning the ‘faith’
- Super-fan twin sisters cheer on the Rays at St. Pete Pier World Series watch parties
- Naples man finds giant jellyfish while running on beach
- High school baseball coach reflects on Pinellas County native Brett Phillips’ historic World Series moment