BARTOW, Fla. (AP) — A Florida man has been sentenced to 15 years in prison for killing a man while driving under the influence.
The Ledger reports 46-year-old Trevor David Werner was sentenced Monday after pleading no contest to DUI manslaughter in the 2012 death of 51-year-old Orlando Colon.
A Polk County Sheriff’s Office report says Werner was driving a truck heading east when he veered into the westbound lanes and hit a car head-on. It says Colon was the passenger in the struck car and died from his injuries.
The report says Werner’s toxicology reports showed high levels of “unlawful drugs,” which suggested that Werner may have been unconscious when he lost control of the truck.
Werner was given the maximum sentence because of his previous unrelated convictions.
- Florida inspector general report finds long-established problems with state unemployment system
- FEMA walk-up vaccine site in Tampa gets high marks from patients, no line at end of day
- Georgia could make porch theft a felony; critics decry move
- Capitol Police request 2-month extension of National Guard at US Capitol
- Illinois family grieving loss attributed to ‘COVID psychosis’