WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump invoked George Floyd’s name as he delivered remarks trumpeting the latest unemployment numbers, which showed the U.S. economy unexpectedly adding 2.5 million jobs last month.
Trump mentioned equal justice under the law means everyone needs to receive fair treatment. He referenced Floyd, whose death in police custody has sparked protests across the world.
Trump says, “Hopefully George is looking down right now and saying this is a great thing that’s happening for our country,” adding: “This is a great day for him. It’s a great day for everybody.”
Trump is also calling an improving economy “the greatest thing that can happen for race relations” and the African American community.
- Tampa Bay Tech coach arrested, accused of having sex with student
- FBI investigating reported assault on Black man in Indiana
- Accident affecting traffic on Old Pasco Road in Wesley Chapel
- Chief Justice John Roberts was hospitalized in June after a fall
- Trump pushes state, local leaders to reopen schools in fall