NEW YORK (AP) — President Donald Trump is calling for two suspects to turn themselves in on federal charges for vandalizing statues of George Washington in New York City.
Trump tweeted Tuesday that the unidentified vandals would face 10 years in prison under federal law.
Surveillance footage released by New York City police shows the men throwing balloons filled with red paint at the statues in Manhattan’s Washington Square Park.
Trump signed an executive order last week that called for the government to prosecute vandals of monuments “to the fullest extent permitted under federal law.”
MORE TOP STORIES
- MAX DEFENDER 8 FORECAST: Humidity increases; rain chances return for the end of the week
- Stamkos scores, leaves, Lightning beat Stars 5-2 in Game 3
- Kentucky governor calls for release of Breonna Taylor evidence
- Rays clinch AL East title following 8-5 win over Mets
- President Trump, GOP AGs accuse social media companies of silencing conservatives