WASHINGTON (AP) — Republican Rep. Liz Cheney says she will vote to impeach President Donald Trump.
The Wyoming congresswoman, the No. 3 Republican in the House, said in a statement late Tuesday that Trump “summoned” the mob that attacked the Capitol last week, “assembled the mob, and lit the flame of this attack.” She says, “Everything that followed was his doing.”
She also notes that Trump could have immediately intervened to stop his supporters, but he did not.
Cheney says, “There has never been a greater betrayal by a President of the United States of his office and his oath to the Constitution.”
Trump himself has taken no responsibility for his role in inciting the attackers.
Cheney is a daughter of former Vice President Dick Cheney.
LATEST NEWS FROM WFLA.COM:
- Prince Harry says he contemplated quitting royal life several times in his 20s
- Purrfect rescue: Kitten found encased in spray foam at Missouri internet provider facility
- Tampa high school students give back to Gold Star mother
- Country’s largest supermarket operator to continue requiring masks following new CDC guidance
- WATCH: Manatee swims around group of canoers near Fort DeSoto Park