WASHINGTON (AP) — Republican Rep. Liz Cheney says she will vote to impeach President Donald Trump.
The Wyoming congresswoman, the No. 3 Republican in the House, said in a statement late Tuesday that Trump “summoned” the mob that attacked the Capitol last week, “assembled the mob, and lit the flame of this attack.” She says, “Everything that followed was his doing.”
She also notes that Trump could have immediately intervened to stop his supporters, but he did not.
Cheney says, “There has never been a greater betrayal by a President of the United States of his office and his oath to the Constitution.”
Trump himself has taken no responsibility for his role in inciting the attackers.
Cheney is a daughter of former Vice President Dick Cheney.
LATEST NEWS FROM WFLA.COM:
- Suspect charged in 2019 St. Petersburg murder
- Alleged white supremacist arrested after ankle monitor puts him at Capitol riot
- Florida officials investigating after Ellenton mom says she was hurt on ride at Manatee County Fair
- New sanctions on Cuba hinders trade and travel with Tampa Bay
- Sarah Thomas to be 1st female to officiate at Super Bowl