(WFLA/AP) – U.S. Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez will be returning to Congress for a second term.
The New York City Democrat on Tuesday defeated Republican John Cummings, a teacher and former police officer.
Ocasio-Cortez has become one of the most well-known voices of the American left in her first term.
She was a lead sponsor of the Green New Deal, a proposal to have the federal government mobilize a massive effort to wean the nation from fossil fuels and invest in zero-emission transportation. She’s agitated with members of her own party to support universal health care, a higher minimum wage, cancellation of student debt and abolition of immigration enforcement.
Ocasio-Cortez’s 14th Congressional District in Queens and the Bronx was among the places hit hardest in the city by the coronavirus.
Democrat Ilhan Omar also won reelection to U.S. House in Minnesota’s 5th Congressional District, defeating the GOP’s Lacy Johnson.
Omar became a high-profile lawmaker during her first-term in Congress.
LATEST FROM YOUR LOCAL ELECTION HEADQUARTERS:
- Vice President-elect Harris to resign her Senate seat Monday
- Harris to be sworn in by Justice Sotomayor at inauguration
- President Trump: ‘I will not be going to the Inauguration’
- Pence defies Trump, says he can’t reject electoral votes
- Biden to name judge Merrick Garland as attorney general
- Trump, on tape, presses Ga. official to ‘find’ him votes
- Despite Trump’s venting and threats, Biden’s win is sealed
- Trump’s 2020 election challenge not the same as 2000 Florida recount
- Here’s where the Trump campaign lawsuits stand after the race was called for Biden
- How do electors decide who to vote for? Key dates before Inauguration Day