(KTVT/CNN) – A Dallas woman faces charges after police found her 6-year-old grandson tied up in a shed.
Police responded to the home on Sunday night after receiving at tip about the boy.
The child’s grandmother, 53-year-old Esmeralda Lira, told them the child was with his mother, but a man living in the back of the property pointed them to the shed.
According to KTVT, the officers found the boy with his hands tied behind his back.
Lira claimed it was the first time they put her grandson in the shed, but her live-in boyfriend, 64-year-old Jose Balderas, said the boy was being punished for at least two weeks after stealing food.
The child told police he had been forced to sleep in the shed, and the alleged abuse started around the time he “got out of school for this corona thing.”
Lira and Balderas both face felony charges for endangering a child.
The 6-year-old boy, his 7-year-old sister and 4-year-old brother have been removed from the home.
- DeSantis: 175,000 doses of Johnson & Johnson vaccine could arrive in Florida this week
- “Finding Bigfoot” returns to Discovery+
- The circus returns with jaw-dropping contortionists!
- “Ted Lasso” stars Brett Goldstein and Phil Dunster talk first season
- White House COVID-19 team briefs public as J&J vaccine doses shipped to states