ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (WFLA) – St. Petersburg police have arrested and charged a woman with child abuse after throwing a toddler into a pool.
According to the arrest affidavit, 33-year-old Ashton Heddens took a 3-year-old child in her care to a swimming pool while intoxicated.
Police say Heddens grabbed the toddler by the neck and torso and threw him into the water after he said, “I don’t know how to swim.”
The child had claw marks on the right side of his neck and right side of his upper back, according to the St. Petersburg Police Department report.
When officers tried speaking with Heddens, she was slurring her words and unsteady on her feet, police say.
The Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office inmate booking website shows Heddens has posted a bond of $5,000 and is from Pennsylvania.
LATEST NEWS FROM WFLA.COM:
- Organizer arrested after driving car into California protest
- Former Trump campaign manager hospitalized after barricading self in South Florida home
- Photos: Thousands march in Washington to pray and show Trump support
- Man shot, killed following argument with wife in Bradenton
- President Trump to visit Central Florida for campaign event on Friday