PINELLAS COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – The race for U.S. Representative for District 13 pit a seasoned politician against a political newcomer.
Democratic incumbent Representative Charlie Crist defeated challenger Republican Anna Paulina Luna. Luna gained 47% of the vote to Crist’s 53 %
At a watch party at Island Way Grill in Clearwater, Luna told supporters she was proud of the race she ran and that she wasn’t going anywhere anytime soon.
“I don’t look at this like a loss and I’m not going anywhere anytime soon. You guys are gonna see me.. I’ll be out and about. I’m not leaving this community.,” she said.
Earlier Tuesday, Luna spent the day traveling to more than half a dozen precincts to wave for support.
A recent poll by St. Pete Polls, puts Luna several points behind Crist.
The poll of 1,280 likely Florida Congressional District 13 voters took place on Oct. 28.
When asked, if the election for the congressional seat in District 13 were held today, and the candidates were Republican Anna Paulina Luna and Democrat Charlie Crist, who would you vote for, about 39 percent said Luna, about 55 percent said Crist, and nearly 7 percent were undecided or wouldn’t say.
The poll has a 2.7 percent margin.
But even with the endorsement of President Donald Trump, she wasn’t able to secure a win.
LATEST NEWS FROM WFLA.COM:
- Activists want Biden to defund ICE, overhaul migrant detention policies
- Hotel housekeeper took women’s panties from guests, left note with phone number, police say
- All eyes on QBs as Packers host Bucs for NFC championship
- Grindr date leaves teen in hospital for nearly a month, scarred for life
- 14 men arrested, charged with 541 counts of child porn in Manatee County