PINELLAS COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – The “Circle of Heroes” reef memorial was dedicated on Monday.
The memorial is the first of its kind to honor local veterans.
Located about 10-miles off the Pinellas County coastline, the memorial is made up of twelve life-size concrete statues representing the men and women serving in the United States armed forces.
The plan is to install an additional 12 statues in 2020 to complete the underwater memorial.
Congressman Gus Billirakis, U.S. Coast Guard Sector St. Petersburg Deputy Commander Bill Walsh and Pinellas County Board Chairwoman Karen Seel were among those who spoke at the dedication ceremony.
For more information on Circle of Heroes, visit: www.vetmemorial.org
- STORM TEAM 8 FORECAST: Sunny and pleasant days ahead
- Tampa pastor who led packed services during safer-at-home order is shutting down the church
- FDA hasn’t authorized a two-minute test for coronavirus
- Coast Guard: Cruise ships must stay at sea with sick onboard
- Engineer intentionally derailed train in attempted attack on hospital ship USNS Mercy, federal prosecutors say