Palm Harbor,FLA - At a Thornton’s gas station in Palm Harbor, shattered glass and crime scene evidence markers, are where a deputy-involved shooting took place.
The mayhem ended on a quiet dead-end street, in front of astonished neighbors.
Witnesses said, after hearing several shots, a guy in a car sped out of the Thornton’s, and headed west on Tampa Road, on the wrong side of the street.
Back at Thornton's, Detectives spent hours going over the areas near the pumps at US 19 and Tampa Road.
Ed Brown was sitting in his truck, when he heard loud pops. “Maybe 8 , 10 shots maybe. I definitlely jumped” said Brown.
Witnesses tell News Channel 8, as the guy in a car sped off, At least 1 deputy fired at him. Deputies followed him.
2 miles away, the guy turned into Ranchette Lane, a dead-end street. Neighbors watched in disbelief.
“I saw cars speeding up the driveway, with the police car close behind. And after that the police bumped the car and an individual came out running” said Aaron Holmes.
The car slammed into a tree. The driver tried to get away running into the woods.
“I saw them tackle him and I was like, wow, I was extremely impressed because they were just gung-ho. They were definitely trying to do their job very quickly, get it over with quickly” said Holmes.
Cuffed and ready to go to jail, the guy looked ragged.
“He had his pants around his leg. Underwear half off. Bloody. Beat up” said Matthew Raymond.
And his car is no better. The passenger side has extensive damage.
Bullet holes are evident on both sides...evidence of a violent confrontation that could have been deadly.
“This is very different because in this neighborhood it's very peaceful” said Aaron Holmes.
- Copyright 2018 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
- Former Toys R Us workers to get $20M in hardship fund
- VIDEO: Florida woman purposely dropped infant while running through traffic, deputies say
- Driver killed by concrete chunk thrown from overpass, police say
- EPIC FAILURE: Man's pants catch fire when he tries to siphon gas from U-Haul