TARPON SPRINGS, Fla. (WFLA) – The 114th Epiphany celebration in Tarpon Springs took place Monday.
Hunter Sakadales of Tarpon Springs was the young man who retrieved the cross from the water. It’s said he will be blessed for the year now.
Epiphany commemorates the baptism of Jesus. In Tarpon Springs, young Greek boys dive into the bayou every year to retrieve a cross thrown into the water by the archbishop.
The Archbishop Elpidophoros of America arrived at Tampa International Airport Sunday afternoon ahead of Monday’s celebration. The Prime Minister was also in attendance at the event.
He was greeted by school children, clergy and Orthodox Christians.
The Archbishop expressed his excitement for this year’s celebration.
“I want to express my joy and happiness that I am with you for the first time as archbishop and I will participate for the first time in Epiphany in Tarpon Springs,” he said.
- MAX DEFENDER 8 FORECAST: Milder days ahead of the cold air invasion
- 2nd suspect accused of shooting at deputies at Brandon Mall arrested
- Dozens attend Tampa Police Chief candidate community forum
- Kobe Bryant, Gianna depicted in statue at site of fatal helicopter crash
- Fake vaccine cards used at Bills playoff game land felony charges for couple