TARPON SPRINGS, Fla. (WFLA) – The 114th Epiphany celebration in Tarpon Springs took place Monday.
Hunter Sakadales of Tarpon Springs was the young man who retrieved the cross from the water. It’s said he will be blessed for the year now.
Epiphany commemorates the baptism of Jesus. In Tarpon Springs, young Greek boys dive into the bayou every year to retrieve a cross thrown into the water by the archbishop.
The Archbishop Elpidophoros of America arrived at Tampa International Airport Sunday afternoon ahead of Monday’s celebration. The Prime Minister was also in attendance at the event.
He was greeted by school children, clergy and Orthodox Christians.
The Archbishop expressed his excitement for this year’s celebration.
“I want to express my joy and happiness that I am with you for the first time as archbishop and I will participate for the first time in Epiphany in Tarpon Springs,” he said.
- Woman held captive in Dover rescued; man arrested, deputies say
- Biden to visit Michigan computer chip factory, push agenda
- Martha’s Vineyard migrant flight company, recruiter, safety czar added to class-action lawsuit against Florida
- Florida woman wins top lottery prize from Publix lottery ticket
- Man wanted to take wife’s boyfriend’s ‘soul’ in deadly Florida shooting: police