CLEARWATER, Fla. (WFLA) — A man was shot and killed after an argument with another man over a parking spot in Clearwater Saturday night, the police department said.
Police said a verbal dispute took place between Derek Omasta, 32, and Deshon Powers, 26, at 1133 Grove St. around 11 p.m.
Police said the dispute over a parking spot escalated when Powers retrieved a gun from inside a house and shot Omasta.
“All of a sudden, right when I turned my head, I seen him shoot the gun really fast. And I seen the guy like get shot right here and then he falls. That was like the worst thing I’ve ever seen,” said the suspect’s roommates and friend, Scarlett Knott who witnessed the shooting.
Omasta died shortly after being transported to Morton Plant Hospital.
“That man should have just minded his business. Once we told him that was not our car he should’ve just minded his business, go find the owner of the car and go yell at them,” said Powers’ girlfriend, Mersades Katz.
Powers is charged with first-degree murder and was taken to the Pinellas County Jail.
- What a potential El Niño means for the Tampa Bay area
- New class to be inducted into Circus Ring of Fame this weekend
- Florida beach named America’s ‘deadliest beach’
- Families fearful after Memorial Park Cemetery ownership changes hands
- Whiskey honoring Black namesake thrives after story comes to light