CLEARWATER, Fla. (WFLA) — A man was shot and killed after an argument with another man over a parking spot in Clearwater Saturday night, the police department said.
Police said a verbal dispute took place between Derek Omasta, 32, and Deshon Powers, 26, at 1133 Grove St. around 11 p.m.
Police said the dispute over a parking spot escalated when Powers retrieved a gun from inside a house and shot Omasta.
“All of a sudden, right when I turned my head, I seen him shoot the gun really fast. And I seen the guy like get shot right here and then he falls. That was like the worst thing I’ve ever seen,” said the suspect’s roommates and friend, Scarlett Knott who witnessed the shooting.
Omasta died shortly after being transported to Morton Plant Hospital.
“That man should have just minded his business. Once we told him that was not our car he should’ve just minded his business, go find the owner of the car and go yell at them,” said Powers’ girlfriend, Mersades Katz.
Powers is charged with first-degree murder and was taken to the Pinellas County Jail.
- TGH partnership aims to support expecting moms through pregnancy
- Nearly 5 million watched DeSantis, Newsom debate on Fox News
- Conservatives call for big business tax cuts while White House backs child tax credit
- Republicans urge Biden to suspend China travel amid uptick in respiratory illness
- ‘Someone knows’: Tampa mother demands answers in her son’s shooting death