PINELLAS COUNTY (WFLA) – A St. Petersburg man was arrested Tuesday morning for setting fire inside his apartment to stay warm.
Mark Okrent, 66, was charged with arson in the first degree after he allegedly set fire to a stack of paperwork in his apartment building around 3 a.m.
According to the St. Petersburg Police Department, the flames were large enough to set off the smoke detectors, causing a response from the fire department.
Okrent lives in a 30 unit building at 450 5th Ave. N., and residents were home during the incident. No one was injured.
Okrent had several options available to him through neighbors and owners of the building to stay warm, according to the police department.
- California man accused of killing mother with fentanyl: police
- Orioles clinch AL East title with their 100th win of the season, Rays get Wild Card
- Comer subpoenas Hunter Biden’s bank records
- K-9 shot, killed by suspect accused of shooting 2, including deputy, in South Carolina
- iPhone 15 Pro and Pro Max have an overheating problem, some users say