PINELLAS COUNTY (WFLA) – A St. Petersburg man was arrested Tuesday morning for setting fire inside his apartment to stay warm.
Mark Okrent, 66, was charged with arson in the first degree after he allegedly set fire to a stack of paperwork in his apartment building around 3 a.m.
According to the St. Petersburg Police Department, the flames were large enough to set off the smoke detectors, causing a response from the fire department.
Okrent lives in a 30 unit building at 450 5th Ave. N., and residents were home during the incident. No one was injured.
Okrent had several options available to him through neighbors and owners of the building to stay warm, according to the police department.
- Kroger offers ‘hero bonus’ for hourly employees during coronavirus shutdown
- Coronavirus: SiriusXM radio will be free until May 15
- AMBER Alert: Man flees with Georgia toddler after shooting, killing 3 family members
- Florida lawmakers sign letter urging DeSantis to issue statewide ‘stay-at-home’ order
- ‘College HUNKS’ help safely haul away junk during coronavirus crisis