CLEARWATER, Fla. (WFLA) – A Clearwater police crossing guard is in the hospital following a hit-and-run in Clearwater, according to police.
Clearwater police say the crash happened around 4:30 p.m. on South Belcher Road and Catalina Drive, just south of Oak Grove Middle School.
The Clearwater Police Department said 78-year-old Ernest Comeau was helping students cross the street when he was hit by a car that then left the scene. However, that car was pinned in by other motorists at Belcher Road and Nursery Road.
Kamil Bitar tells 8 On Your Side witnesses rushed to action to help the hurt crossing guard.
“The guy wasn’t moving and was laying on the floor so some good people, they run to him and put something under his head,” Bitar said.
The driver, Gregory Olson, 68 is being charged with leaving the scene of an accident involving serious bodily injury, driving with a suspended license and failure to obey a traffic control device.
Comeau has been taken to Morton Plant Hospital with injuries, which are not thought to be life-threatening.
- Leigh’s runcast: Finally feels great for a run outside
- MAX DEFENDER 8 FORECAST: Cooler, drier and fall-like weather finally arrives
- Clemson QB Trevor Lawrence tests positive for COVID-19
- Pope ends public audiences, limits numbers at Christmas as virus surges
- Trump meets with rap star Lil Wayne in Florida