CLEARWATER, Fla. (WFLA) – A man is in critical condition and another person was seriously injured after they were struck by lightning on Clearwater Beach Sunday, police said.
The strike happened around 2:15 p.m. at the end of Somerset Street, halfway between the waterline and the dunes, after a line of storms moved onshore from the Gulf of Mexico.
Police arrived at the beach to find Arkadiusz Gacek of Des Plaines, Illinois, unresponsive.
Gacek, 37, was taken to Morton Plant Hospital in critical condition.
Police said Sab Keomany, 43, of Pickerington, Ohio was a few feet away from Gacek when they were struck. Keomany was hospitalized in stable condition.
Police said both victims were trying to leave the beach when the incident happened.
Further information was not immediately available.
LATEST NEWS FROM WFLA.COM:
- Dollar Tree, Family Dollar to require masks
- Reuniting families: Daughter eager to visit elderly mom, concerned about plan to reopen ALFs
- NY governor calls Trump benefits executive order ‘laughable’
- Puerto Rico halts primary voting in centers lacking ballots
- Israeli jeweler makes $1.5M gold coronavirus mask