PINELLAS COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – A Pinellas County man remains behind bars Monday on kidnapping and molestation charges after authorities said he dragged a 9-year-old girl behind a house and touched her inappropriately.
Deputies said the victim was playing in a Safety Harbor neighborhood with two other children, ages 4 and 6, when 63-year-old, Paul Morgan walked up to the girl and asked to see her underwear.
When the child refused, deputies said he dragged her behind a home and lifted up her skirt and tried to pull off her underwear.
Then he touched her inappropriately, investigators said.
Detectives said the other two children confronted Morgan.
One of them was pushed to the ground.
The girl managed to escape and ran home. Her mother called 911.
Morgan was picked up after he was found walking not too far away from the area.
Authorities said Morgan suffers from an intellectual disability and lives at a nearby assisted living facility.
The judge ordered Morgan to report back to court Wednesday to prove he would be able to hire his own lawyer.
- Tractor-trailer explodes into flames near Brooksville Walmart, evacuates and shuts down store on Black Friday
- 2 shot in Progress Village area of East Tampa, deputies searching for 3 suspects
- MAX DEFENDER 8 FORECAST: Major cool-down in store for next week
- Tampa city councilman thankful after surviving battle with coronavirus
- Venezuela judge convicts 6 American oil execs, orders prison