PINELLAS COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – A Pinellas County man remains behind bars Monday on kidnapping and molestation charges after authorities said he dragged a 9-year-old girl behind a house and touched her inappropriately.
Deputies said the victim was playing in a Safety Harbor neighborhood with two other children, ages 4 and 6, when 63-year-old, Paul Morgan walked up to the girl and asked to see her underwear.
When the child refused, deputies said he dragged her behind a home and lifted up her skirt and tried to pull off her underwear.
Then he touched her inappropriately, investigators said.
Detectives said the other two children confronted Morgan.
One of them was pushed to the ground.
The girl managed to escape and ran home. Her mother called 911.
Morgan was picked up after he was found walking not too far away from the area.
Authorities said Morgan suffers from an intellectual disability and lives at a nearby assisted living facility.
The judge ordered Morgan to report back to court Wednesday to prove he would be able to hire his own lawyer.
- B. Smith, model turned lifestyle guru, dies at 70
- Coronavirus concerns: University of Tampa cancels study abroad trip to China
- Blind, deaf poodle scooped up by hawk finds her way back home 28 hours later
- Florida man arrested after running over, killing girlfriend on I-75, FHP says
- Low wages a concern as unemployment numbers drop, new report says