PINEALLAS COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) — Fall sports, including varsity football, are a go in Pinellas County, the school district announced Tuesday.
The first official practice day for fall sports will be August 24 for Pinellas County schools, the earliest date allowed by the Florida High School Athletic Association.
Volleyball, cross country, swimming and golf begin competitive play Sept. 8 and varsity football games begin Sept. 11.
The FHSAA’s Sports Medicine Advisory Committee has provided Florida school districts with COVID-19 safety guidelines and protocols upon return to competition.
“The health and safety of students and staff are a top priority,” the district said.
LATEST ON THE CORONAVIRUS PANDEMIC:
- Biden: 200 million more COVID-19 vaccines ordered, set to arrive this summer
- World surpasses 100M confirmed COVID-19 cases
- Here’s what has to happen for $1,400 stimulus checks to become reality
- Florida ranked 5th in states with least COVID-19 restrictions
- Florida coronavirus: State reports 9,594 new cases, 227 new deaths