LARGO, Fla. (WFLA) – A child pedestrian has died after he was hit and killed after stepping into a roadway in Largo.
According to the Largo Police Department, officers responded to a vehicle versus pedestrian crash on East Bay Drive just west of Highland Avenue around 7:25 p.m. Saturday.
Police say the pedestrian, a juvenile male, was crossing northbound when he stepped into the roadway and into the path of an oncoming car.
The child was taken to a local hospital where he later died from his injures, according to LPD.
Police say alcohol was not a factor in the crash.
The Largo Police Department’s Traffic Homicide Unit is currently investigating the incident.
LATEST NEWS FROM WFLA.COM:
- Prosecutors: Florida man lied to get virus relief money
- First COVID-19 treatment approved by FDA studied early on during pandemic at Sarasota Memorial Hospital
- Local hospitalized man racks up bills on stolen truck trapped in tow yard, family says company won’t budge on price
- Navy: ‘Aircrew did not survive’ crash in Alabama neighborhood
- Questions remain on if, how COVID-19 impacts the human heart