LARGO, Fla. (WFLA) – A child pedestrian has died after he was hit and killed after stepping into a roadway in Largo.
According to the Largo Police Department, officers responded to a vehicle versus pedestrian crash on East Bay Drive just west of Highland Avenue around 7:25 p.m. Saturday.
Police say the pedestrian, a juvenile male, was crossing northbound when he stepped into the roadway and into the path of an oncoming car.
The child was taken to a local hospital where he later died from his injures, according to LPD.
Police say alcohol was not a factor in the crash.
The Largo Police Department’s Traffic Homicide Unit is currently investigating the incident.
LATEST NEWS FROM WFLA.COM:
- ‘Felt like I was able to breathe’: Relief in Tampa for many after guilty verdict in Chauvin trial
- Florida transgender athlete bill may be dead for the year, bill sponsor says
- St. Petersburg residents react to Chauvin verdict
- Hillsborough Co. school board member questions superintendent’s leadership following teacher layoffs
- SUV flies over cliff into ocean in California