ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (WFLA) – St. Petersburg’s long-awaited Pier will open this spring, city officials confirmed Thursday.
The $92 million-site will be celebrated with a grand opening at its new waterfront playground at 10 a.m. on Saturday, May 30.
City officials made the opening day announcement in a video posted on YouTube.
“It’s time,” Mayor Rick Krisemen says in the video. “The future has arrived in the form of a 26-acre pier district. And now it’s yours to enjoy.”
Construction for the Pier was set to wrap up in 2019 but was pushed back to the spring after hitting a few snags.
The site will include a $1 million wooden playground, a fishing deck and a $1.5 million sculpture from local artist Janet Echelman titled “Bending Arc.”
For more information on the Pier, click here.
- Tampa Bay misses out on first WrestleMania due to coronavirus
- US Coast Guard rescues 4 people from overturned boat near Sarasota
- Pro Football Hall of Famer Bobby Mitchell dies at 84
- Coronavirus response: Feeding Tampa Bay partners with celebrity chef for weekly Facebook series
- Search to continue for Kennedy Townsend’s daughter, grandson