13-year-old was covered in blood after stabbing grandmother to death in St. Pete, arrest report says

Pinellas County

PINELLAS COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – An emotional scene played out inside a Pinellas County courtroom Tuesday morning when a teen appeared to face charges for allegedly killing his grandmother.

The 13-year-old was arrested for second-degree murder in the stabbing death of his grandmother, 56-year-old Gloria Davis.

Police responded to 60th Avenue South in the early hours of Monday morning and found Davis stabbed to death.

They said two children, ages 13 and 12, were inside of the home when Davis died. According to an arrest report, the 12-year-old heard the 13-year-old screaming and loud sounds coming from the kitchen area.

Police say the 13-year-old was found covered in blood with multiple cuts on his hands and red marks on his body. The arrest report says the 13-year-old told the 12-year-old he “did something bad” and asked him “not to call 911 and wait until the morning because he needed time to think.”

The 13-year-old was eventually arrested. 8 On Your Side is not naming the boy because he is a minor.

On Tuesday morning, the teen made an emotional appearance in a Pinellas County courtroom.

Cameras were rolling when his mother ran out of the room in tears after the judge read the charges and said she found probable cause to hold him for 21 more days.

The boy was consoled by his lawyer and another woman.

“I love you baby. I got you, and keep praying baby,” the woman said as she left the room.

Police say the teenager had no criminal history or history of trouble at school.

“The detectives are trying to do the same thing you’re doing — trying to figure out what triggered a 13-year-old to kill his grandmother,” said St. Petersburg Police Chief Anthony Holloway. “What caused this juvenile to do what he did?”

The teen will be held at a Pinellas County detention center until Dec. 16.

A representative for the state’s attorney’s office said that if they pursue the case and try the boy as an adult, the case must go before a grand jury because he is a minor. The grand jury would meet on Dec. 6, and would have to file an indictment that day. The deadline for the process is Dec. 16.

If he is not charged as an adult, the boy will be released on the 16th.


Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

get the app

News App

Weather App

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss