ST. PETERSBURG (WFLA) — A 72-year-old man died after he tripped while trying to cross a street Monday in St. Petersburg and was hit by a Jeep.
Jerry Wayne VanDyke initially survived the collision and was transported to Bayfront Health St. Petersburg with life-threatening injuries.
VanDyke said he was trying to cross 34th Street when he tripped off the curb as a Jeep drove toward him.
The driver hit her breaks and tried to swerve to avoid VanDyke but ended up hitting him with the right front corner of her SUV, police said.
VanDyke died later that night at the hospital.
- City of Tampa gets creative with ‘social distance’ messages
- WATCH LIVE: Arkansas Governor Hutchinson to provide COVID-19 update to public at 1:30 p.m.
- Early hurricane season forecasts predict a slightly above average season
- 24-year-old Florida man tortured, killed dog before baking it, deputies say
- Another cruise ship with coronavirus victims docking in Florida