ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (WFLA) — Police said they arrested a man Saturday for handing out marijuana “because it was Christmas.”
The Pinellas County arrest report says Richard Ellis Spurrier, 67, was confronted by police Saturday around 11 p.m. at 16 2nd St. N. in St. Pete.
Officers said Spurrier had 45 grams of marijuana on him and was handing it out to people as they passed by.
In an interview with police, Spurrier reportedly told them he was handing out the weed “because it was Christmas.”
Spurrier was charged with possession of marijuana with intent to sell.
Officers said they found a hidden sword in Spurrier’s cane when they arrested him.
Spurrier has since been released from the Pinellas County Jail.
- VIDEO: Man injured after shoved by police during protest in Buffalo
- Local leaders fear protests may increase cases of COVID-19 as numbers begin to climb
- Democrats prepare police reform bills after Floyd’s death
- Armed man accused of throwing bean bag at St. Pete chief says he wanted to protest peacefully
- Attorneys: 2 ex-cops charged in Floyd’s death were rookies