SEMINOLE, Fla. (WFLA) -A 65-year-old man is dead after a fire ripped through the second floor of an apartment building in Seminole Wednesday morning, authorities said.
The fire broke out at the Seminole Garden apartments, 8533 110th Street North, shortly before 4:30 a.m.
The man who died was identified as Pedro Ramon Marino.
8 On Your Side spoke with a witness who woke up to the fire alarms.
“All the neighbors were out screaming, by the time I got there, you couldn’t get through the door, the flames were too intense,” said Clifford Militello.
A number of residents had to be evacuated, but were able to return to their units once the fire was put out.
There is one apartment unit with heavy damage and about six other units that have smoke and water damage.
About 40 firefighters were on the scene along with the Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office’s arson and theft unit.
Authorities said detectives with the arson unit were investigating the incident, but the fire was not suspicious.
The incident is still under investigation.
This is a developing story. Please check back for updates.
- Meet the ‘Sod Father’: NFL groundskeeper, 91, preps field for Super Bowl
- Sarasota man wins $2 million in scratch-off game
- Thursday marks 41 years since deadly Blackthorn collision in Tampa Bay
- MAX DEFENDER 8 FORECAST: A cool and breezy day
- St. Petersburg museum on mission to improve Holocaust education statewide