SEMINOLE, Fla. (WFLA) -A 65-year-old man is dead after a fire ripped through the second floor of an apartment building in Seminole Wednesday morning, authorities said.
The fire broke out at the Seminole Garden apartments, 8533 110th Street North, shortly before 4:30 a.m.
The man who died was identified as Pedro Ramon Marino.
8 On Your Side spoke with a witness who woke up to the fire alarms.
“All the neighbors were out screaming, by the time I got there, you couldn’t get through the door, the flames were too intense,” said Clifford Militello.
A number of residents had to be evacuated, but were able to return to their units once the fire was put out.
There is one apartment unit with heavy damage and about six other units that have smoke and water damage.
About 40 firefighters were on the scene along with the Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office’s arson and theft unit.
Authorities said detectives with the arson unit were investigating the incident, but the fire was not suspicious.
The incident is still under investigation.
This is a developing story. Please check back for updates.
- Clearwater police bust teens accused of trying to steal a car during a department softball game
- Voter guide: What to know about Florida’s Aug. 18 primary election
- School employees in Manatee County to quarantine after coworker tests positive for COVID-19
- Bay area youth football league has over $2,500 in youth equipment stolen by thieves
- Retired nurse recovers from coronavirus, couldn’t give plasma because of paperwork roadblock