PINELLAS COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – With the help of GPS, Largo police say they arrested a robber who stopped a woman and forcefully took her cell phone.
According to an affidavit, the robbery occurred near the intersection of 8th Avenue and Clearwater Largo Road on Jan. 15.
Police said 26-year-old Mario Smith stopped the woman and snatched a bag and a purse that was around her neck.
Inside one of the bags was a cell phone with a GPS tracker, which alerted police to his location.
Police said the victim identified Smith in a photo lineup and he was arrested Sunday for robbery by sudden snatching.
Smith is being held at the Pinellas County Jail on a $5,000 bond.
- David L. Lander, best known as ‘Squiggy’ on Laverne & Shirley, dies at 73
- College students surprise professor with heartwarming thank you message, video goes viral
- McRib is back for the first time in 8 years
- FDA authorizes first at-home COVID-19 and flu combination test
- Officials: 17th Florida panther struck, killed by vehicle this year