Officials release cause of Clearwater fire that left one dead

Pinellas County
police lights_red1126_700x3941_130448

TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) — Authorities say one man has died after a fire broke out in a Clearwater home on Monday.

Around 8 a.m., the Clearwater Fire and Rescue was called to a house fire along the 1200 block of Claire Drive.

Police said the man, later identified as Thomas Banes, was treated by paramedics before he was rushed to an area hospital in critical condition. On Tuesday, authorities said Banes died after being taken to Mease Countryside Hospital in Safety Harbor, Florida.

Investigators say the fire started in a back bedroom when a lit cigarette was placed in a garbage
can.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trending Stories

get the app

News App

Weather App

Don't Miss

More Don't Miss