CLEARWATER, Fla. (WFLA) – America is going to discover more on the moon and Mars! Honeywell in Clearwater is playing an integral role in the discovery experience.
The announcement was made Friday morning at the Honeywell Plant in Clearwater Florida. It’s a partnership of the Lockheed Martin Orion program and Honeywell with NASA.
According to a Honeywell representative, the 300-person team is already staffed but they do expect to hire more positions as the project develops.
According to engineers, the Orion will be a gumdrop-shaped space capsule this is about 30 feet tall and wide. The goal is to have the Orion in space by early 2021 to orbit as a machine. It is then expected to carry 4 astronauts by 2022 orbit the Moon and Mars and by 2024 they hope to have these astronauts touching down on the Moon and Mars to take samples.
The goal of the program is to take samples of water and to find forms of life. The group says they want to answer three big questions…where did we come from, where are we going and are we alone?
To learn more about the program click the link here.
LATEST PINELLAS COUNTY NEWS:
- Artistry St. Pete supports local crafters by combining art and living
- 4 teens injured after car hydroplanes, crashes into tree in St. Pete
- 2 women shot in Largo during struggle over gun, police say
- Florida is getting 6.4 million rapid antigen tests, DeSantis says
- Two years later, the murder of an elderly Clearwater couple remains a mystery