PINELLAS COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – Allegiant Air has canceled several upcoming flights at St. Pete-Clearwater International Airport due to new aircraft delivery delays.
The list of canceled flights now includes some flights on Friday, June 22 (list at bottom of article).
The canceled flights have left many searching for another way home.
Peggy Thompson rushed to St. Pete-Clearwater International Airport when she learned her cousins’ flights from Kentucky had been canceled Thursday.
“We got the cancellation last night, so we tried to reschedule them. So I got two on one flight for Saturday and one on Sunday. I couldn’t get all three together,” she said.
No luck on the phone, so she came to speak with an agent.
“Kept trying to get customer service. We couldn’t get them, so I thought, ‘I’ll just come over here,'” said Thompson. “We were up until about 2 a.m. trying to get a hold of customer service and back up at 5 a.m. But it’s all good. It’s okay if we can just get them down here.”
An agent was eventually able to get them all on a flight to PIE Sunday.
Hundreds are impacted across the country.
Allegiant passengers are scrambling to rebook or get a refund after the airline canceled 16 flights out of PIE.
The airline issued this statement:
“You may or may not be aware that we are in the process of transitioning to an all-Airbus fleet. Unfortunately, some of the delivery dates for aircraft scheduled to join our fleet have fallen short of the projections, leaving us with limited resources available and the very difficult choice to cancel certain flights. We have offered options to our passengers on canceled flights, including re-accommodation to other flights or refunds.”
Robyn Griffiths, whose flight home was canceled, said she’s lucky she had family to stay with, but others may not be so fortunate.
“I don’t know what people are going to do that have hotels and they’re not going to have rooms available, it’d be difficult,” she said.
Eight flights have been canceled for Friday, June 15:
- Flight 824 from St. Petersburg, FL to Des Moines, IA has been canceled.
- Flight 825 from Des Moines, IA to St. Petersburg, FL has been canceled.
- Flight 866 from St. Petersburg, FL to Pittsburgh, PA has been canceled.
- Flight 867 from Pittsburgh, PA to St. Petersburg, FL has been canceled.
- Flight 882 from St. Petersburg, FL to Grand Rapids, MI has been canceled.
- Flight 883 from Grand Rapids, MI to St. Petersburg, FL has been canceled.
- Flight 926 from St. Petersburg, FL to Providence, RI has been canceled.
- Flight 927 from Providence, RI to St. Petersburg, FL has been canceled.
Four flights have been canceled for Thursday, June 21:
- Flight 814 from St. Petersburg, FL to Raleigh Durham, NC has been canceled.
- Flight 815 from Raleigh Durham, NC to St. Petersburg, FL has been canceled.
- Flight 860 from St. Petersburg, FL to Lexington, KY has been canceled.
- Flight 861 from Lexington, KY to St. Petersburg, FLhas been canceled.
Two flights have been canceled for Friday, June 22
- Flight 940 from St. Petersburg, FL to Ogdensburg, NY has been canceled.
- Flight 941 from Ogdensburg, NY to St. Petersburg, FL has been canceled.