ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (WFLA) – A 13-year-old student has been arrested for arson after he set a backpack on fire in a bathroom stall today.
Police say the incident happened around 12:26 p.m. at John Hopkins Middle School.
St. Pete Fire Rescue responded to put the fire out. While the fire caused minimal damage, there was a great deal of smoke and the school was evacuated. No one was injured as a cause of the fire.
Editor’s Note: The article has been changed to reflect the student is 13 years old, not 12.
- Hillsborough Co. offers program that catches kids up on learning missed during pandemic
- Florida coronavirus: State reports 2,795 new cases, 107 deaths
- Bucs to welcome fans back into stadium at limited capacity following executive order
- ‘Sexy COVID’ costumes won’t be made by costume maker Yandy for Halloween 2020
- ‘I have nothing left’: Sentimental items stolen from 90-year-old man while preparing to evacuate wildfire