ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (WFLA) – A 13-year-old student has been arrested for arson after he set a backpack on fire in a bathroom stall today.
Police say the incident happened around 12:26 p.m. at John Hopkins Middle School.
St. Pete Fire Rescue responded to put the fire out. While the fire caused minimal damage, there was a great deal of smoke and the school was evacuated. No one was injured as a cause of the fire.
Editor’s Note: The article has been changed to reflect the student is 13 years old, not 12.
- 2 hospitalized after Tampa barbershop shooting, suspect facing aggravated battery charges
- St. Petersburg churches hold community block party against gun violence
- More than 60 people vaccinated through Tampa’s ‘Vaccy and Vacay’ campaign geared towards Gen Z
- Jill Biden thanks military spouses in Colorado for service
- Hemingway Look-Alike Contest returns to Florida Keys