TEMPLE TERRACE, Fla. (WFLA) — The Temple Terrace Police Department is investigating an armed robbery and attempted murder case that all started when a man was unloading groceries from his car.
Police responded to a home in the 5200 block of Serena Drive around 11 p.m. on Sunday night. investigators say two men approached 38-year-old Luis Enrique Alonso in front of his home as he was unloading groceries.
- CRAZY CRIME: Pasco woman uses ‘defecated pants’ as excuse for stealing $199 in groceries from Publix
The suspects grabbed Alonso, and one of the suspects pointed a silver handgun at him. Alonso grabbed the suspect’s gun and a brief struggle ensued.
Police say Alonso then drew his own firearm and exchanged gunfire with the suspects.
Aya Hamad lives in the neighborhood with her young son and heard the commotion.
“I was sleeping and I heard the helicopter. My friend called me and said she heard four or five shots,” said Hamad.
The suspects then ran away in the westbound direction. Alonso was treated at the scene for minor injuries to his thumb.
Authorities in Temple Terrace believe Alonso was lucky to get away with his life.
“It’s a dangerous situation, we don’t urge anyone to get into a firefight with criminals and especially don’t try and grab a firearm. Don’t be James Bond. This victim is very fortunate that he was not more seriously injured,” said Michael Dunn, a spokesman for the city of Temple Terrace.
The Temple Terrace Police Department released the following description of the suspects:
- Suspect 1: Black, Male, 5’10″ – 6’00″, 150 pounds, wearing a black beanie, dark jacket, black shirt, black pants, armed with a silver handgun.
- Suspect 2: Black, Male, 6’00″ – 6’02″, 150 pounds, wearing a black shirt and black pants
Anyone with information about this incident is asked to contact the Temple Terrace Police Department at (813) 989-7110.TOP CLICKED HEADLINES :
- Attorney banned from jail, accused of having sex with inmate
- Explosive devices, AK-47, ammo found at Tampa home