PASCO COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – A 1-year-old Holiday girl was hospitalized Sunday after ingesting a very powerful opioid that was left behind by her caregiver, deputies say.
The Pasco County Sheriff’s Office says someone called 911 after the child became lethargic and unresponsive. It was later determined the child had overdosed on fentanyl and/or heroin.
Paramedics arrived and administered Narcan and the child became responsive. She was taken to the hospital, where she is currently being monitored.
“At this time, it appears the overdose was stopped due to the Narcan administration and the victim is expected to be okay,” an arrest affidavit states.
The child’s caregiver, Heather Aliesha Revell, admitted to injecting heroin into her arm in her bedroom where the child was sleeping, the arrest report says.
Revell initially told deputies she thought she cleaned up the drugs, but later said she believed she left some of the remnants behind and that the child ingested it.
Deputies found a white substance in Revell’s bedroom, which she said was heroin. They also found several drug paraphernalia items, according to the report.
“She said the baby came out of the mother’s room. She was stumbling and falling,” said a neighbor, who didn’t want to identify herself or show her face on television.
Revell, 35, was arrested for child neglect and possession of heroin, Xanax and drug paraphernalia. She’s being held at the Pasco County Jail.
In court Monday, she went before a judge via closed-circuit TV. The judge listed off the charges against her, including possession of drugs and child neglect.
The latest condition of the girl is unknown.
- Raptors’ virus issues worsen, game vs. Bulls called off
- Golfer drowns in pond while searching for his ball at Oldsmar country club
- Cuomo asks state AG to investigate sexual harassment allegations against him
- Crowds rush Clearwater Beach for the first unofficial day of Spring Break
- Nigerian families await news of 300 kidnapped schoolgirls