PASCO COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – A Pasco County deputy is off the job, accused of trying to frame a drug suspect. Sheriff Chris Nocco briefed the media Tuesday about what led to Deputy Stephen LeBlanc’s firing.
LeBlanc planted drugs in the bag of a known drug suspect, Thomas Parizzi, Nocco said.
It all started last November.
“I can tell you it possibly goes back to the fact that Parizzi had spray painted LeBlanc’s name on his own trailer, Parizzi’s own trailer, saying, ‘LeBlanc for Sheriff 2016.’ We don’t know any other altercation that occurred between the two,” Nocco said.
Investigators believe the deputy got a syringe and a crack pipe from Parizzi’s neighbor and planted it in Parizzi’s bag.
“(Parizzi) goes and checks himself into a rehab center. When he checks himself into the rehab center, the staff notices the items that are in the bag and notifies the sheriff”s office,” Nocco said.
That’s what sparked the investigation into the deputy and led the neighbor to tell investigators what happened.
“We will hold ourselves responsible for our actions. We are going to be transparent with our citizens because we have to play by the rules. We know criminals don’t. Everybody knows that but law enforcement officers have to play by the rules,” Nocco said.
In addition to losing his job, the former deputy may face obstruction of justice and tampering with evidence charges.MORE NEWS THAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON:
- Tampa mother wants justice after her son is involved in school fight
- Florida Blue ‘technical issues’ cause nightmare for Tampa Bay area customers
- Florida teen dies in crash a day after birthday, getting new car
- Pasco deputy fired for planting drugs
- WATCH: Boy, 2, falls out of moving van; Good Samaritans rescue him
- Florida hunters capture 106 Burmese pythons; Tampa Bay area team caught 15-footer
- Detectives find more gas pump credit card skimmers
- Dog poop DNA testing creates stink in one community
- Top 10 Beaches in the U.S.