PASCO COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – A woman has died after she tried fleeing from an investigation and shooting at deputies, the Pasco County Sheriff’s Office said.
Deputies say 40-year-old Bonnie Figueroa-Ortiz fled during an investigation in Port Richey and fired a shot at deputies who also shot back, hitting her once.
She was treated by emergency officials and was pronounced dead. No deputies were injured.
According to the sheriff’s office, Figueroa-Ortiz was reported as missing around 1:30 a.m. Saturday and were responding to another call, unrelated to her missing persons cases, when they came in contact with her.
A criminal investigation regarding the woman is ongoing and will be conducted by the Pasco County Sheriff’s Office. The deputy-involved shooting will be investigated by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.
No other information has been released at this time.
LATEST NEWS FROM WFLA.COM:
- Chicago man charged with first-degree murder in shooting of 7-year-old girl
- Dunkin’ to close 450 stores permanently by end of 2020
- Trump, First Lady to discuss reopening schools amid coronavirus
- Contact tracing crucial to fight spread of COVID-19
- Trump accused of ‘hubris and willful ignorance,’ in niece’s new book