PASCO COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – A woman has died after she tried fleeing from an investigation and shooting at deputies, the Pasco County Sheriff’s Office said.
Deputies say 40-year-old Bonnie Figueroa-Ortiz fled during an investigation in Port Richey and fired a shot at deputies who also shot back, hitting her once.
She was treated by emergency officials and was pronounced dead. No deputies were injured.
According to the sheriff’s office, Figueroa-Ortiz was reported as missing around 1:30 a.m. Saturday and were responding to another call, unrelated to her missing persons cases, when they came in contact with her.
A criminal investigation regarding the woman is ongoing and will be conducted by the Pasco County Sheriff’s Office. The deputy-involved shooting will be investigated by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.
No other information has been released at this time.
LATEST NEWS FROM WFLA.COM:
- White House COVID-19 team briefs public as J&J vaccine doses shipped to states
- Evacuations underway after vehicle hits building in Tampa, ruptures gas line
- Nikki Fried calls on Congress to investigate Florida’s ‘politically-driven’ vaccine distribution
- ‘Magnet for predators’: Hundreds claim decades of abuse by 150 youth center staffers
- Mother, boyfriend charged after 6-year-old killed, dumped in Ohio River, police say