PASCO COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – A woman has died after she tried fleeing from an investigation and shooting at deputies, the Pasco County Sheriff’s Office said.
Deputies say 40-year-old Bonnie Figueroa-Ortiz fled during an investigation in Port Richey and fired a shot at deputies who also shot back, hitting her once.
She was treated by emergency officials and was pronounced dead. No deputies were injured.
According to the sheriff’s office, Figueroa-Ortiz was reported as missing around 1:30 a.m. Saturday and were responding to another call, unrelated to her missing persons cases, when they came in contact with her.
A criminal investigation regarding the woman is ongoing and will be conducted by the Pasco County Sheriff’s Office. The deputy-involved shooting will be investigated by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement.
No other information has been released at this time.
LATEST NEWS FROM WFLA.COM:
- David L. Lander, best known as ‘Squiggy’ on Laverne & Shirley, dies at 73
- College students surprise professor with heartwarming thank you message, video goes viral
- McRib is back for the first time in 8 years
- FDA authorizes first at-home COVID-19 and flu combination test
- Officials: 17th Florida panther struck, killed by vehicle this year