PASCO COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – Starting next week, athletic activities and other extracurricular events at Pasco County Schools will be restricted to students and coaches only, the district announced Friday via Twitter.
The move came after the county saw its positivity rate climb to over 9%. Positivity rate is the number of people who test PCR (nose swabs) or antigen-positive for the first time divided by all the people tested that day.
District officials say all athletic, fine arts and extracurricular event ticket sales will be suspended on Monday. All athletic events in district facilities will be closed to spectators until the local positivity rate drops below 5% for a rolling 7-day period.
Florida’s Department of Health has reported an uptick of cases in recent weeks. More than 9,000 new cases were reported statewide on Thursday. Pasco County has reported 13,156 total cases and 262 since the beginning of the pandemic.
LATEST NEWS FROM WFLA.COM:
- Mother of slain Florida teen shot during burial service
- Florida on track to top 1 million total coronavirus cases this week
- Florida boy drowns while swimming in ocean with grandfather
- Biden chooses an all-female senior White House press team
- 40 cold-stunned turtles from Cape Cod receive treatment in Florida Keys