HUDSON, Fla. (WFLA) – A teacher at Fivay High School has been arrested after deputies say the teacher had a loaded gun in her purse.
Deputies located the gun following a secondary search of the school following a false report by a student.
The teacher told law enforcement that she forgot the gun was in her purse.
In an abundance of caution, Fivay High School will have an increased law enforcement presence Wednesday.
Pasco Schools spokesman Steve Hegarty told 8 On Your Side the teacher has been with the school district since March 2019 as an English teacher.
At this time she is on paid leave until the school board can take the action of putting her on unpaid status, per Hegarty.
Fivay has found itself under a microscope in recent days.
The school went on controlled campes last week after several fights broke out, prompting the sheriff’s office to step in.
Also last week, a 15 year old student was arrested after deputies say she set a bathroom soap dispenser on fire.
Over the weekend, Fivay’s principal Jason Joens announced new security measures including another school resource officer and the placement of a security guard at the school’s front gate.
- Injured manatee, calf rescued in Florida waters
- ‘It’s a miracle’: Toddler walks again after being shot in the head during drive-by shooting
- Newman suffered head injury, no internal injuries in crash
- Dog rescued from deep inside meat plant processing pit
- Rays fan guarantees playoffs for Tampa Bay in 2020