PASCO COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – A Pasco County student is behind bars after she sent a threatening post to a former teacher on Facebook.
Desiree Zio was arrested just before midnight Sunday evening.
Pasco sheriff’s deputies say Zio threatened to stab her former teacher at River Ridge High school.
District leaders acted fast.
“We take any threat against any of our employees very seriously,” said Linda Cobbe, Pasco County Schools spokeswoman.
Deputies say the teacher saw the post on Facebook.
The post read, “I’m going to kill ___.”
Investigators say Zio wrote the threat on her mother’s Facebook page and sent it directly to the teacher.
The teacher immediately contacted authorities.
“The teacher brought it to the principal’s attention, who then informed law enforcement,” said Lt. Troy Fergueson.
Detectives said Zio was upset regarding incidents from last year.
“She was angry at her former teacher and claimed that there was some bullying from last school year that wasn’t addressed to her satisfaction and she acted out emotionally and made the threat,” said Lt. Fergueson.
Investigators said Zio intended to find the teacher at her residence or at the school to try and carry out the threat.
Students attending class on the first day can’t believe it.
“It’s crazy that it happened at my school, but like not really, you know people joke around about that, but you know. It’s not something to joke about,” said freshman Alexis Rizzo.
District officials said threats on social media won’t be taken lightly.
“We find ourselves reminding parents to talk to their students about using social media responsibly and to reinforce that it’s very serious,” said Cobbe.
Zio was going to be a senior at Marchman.
Cobbe said she will be recommended for suspension.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- Florida governor wants to make it harder for lawmakers to raise taxes, fees
- First day of school for Sarasota Co. superintendent
- SUV carrying gas grill explodes in Orlando when passenger lights cigarette
- Family’s dog shot, killed by HCSO deputy
- Police: Man kills former UT volleyball star, mother, 3rd woman with hammer
- VIDEO: Teachers who dragged autistic boy by ankle won’t be charged
- Unexpected delivery turns heartbreak into joy for grieving mother